Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Response to Delegate Smigiel's Blog

Please see the copy below of the response to Delegate Smigiel's blog about me and the Cecil County Blog. I have submitted it to his blog and hope that it gets posted.

First of all Mike, thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I want to clarify some points that you made about my last post. I was not claiming that there was a 2 cent tax cut. I pointed out that there was a 2 cent reduction in the amount that it could have been increased by. I know a tax increase when I see one, I was commenting on the fact that it could have been worse. When is the last time that we have seen this reduced?

As for implying that you did not attend the budget hearings, if that was my intent, I would have said that Delegate Smigiel didn’t even attend. The implication made was that there are many folks out there complaining about the actions of their elected officials and that they do not even take advantage of the public meetings. This was even noted in an earlier Whig article. And you are correct, I did not attend any of these meetings, I would expect that the commissioners that I voted for would do the right thing for me.

My question was why you were pinning this all on Commissioner Hodge. He is just one vote among five others. As you had pointed out in an earlier posting on your site, Commissioner Mullin also pledged that he would not support any new taxes. Where is his headline? When the state passed all of the new taxes last year, we all know that you were there fighting against the increase taxes, yet I did not hold your feet to the fire because they passed.

As for the Anonymous posting, I could force people to give a name to leave a comment but it is too easy for people to give a false one. My blog is open to all, I have had people even complain about my wife on the school board and did not edit it. I am trying to have an open forum and will delete anything to gets to far out of line.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

4 comments:

TeaPartyGoer said...

We will remember who broke their no new taxes promise during the next election. We will also remember any would be politican who tried to SPIN a tax increase into a tax decrease. Get it Mr. Zane. You need to have your eyes checked...apparently you don't know what a tax increase is, and "cut" / "reduction" mean the same thing when it take MORE money from taxpayers.

Tim Zane said...

Apparently you have reading the Gospel of Michael. Please see my response in the earlier post. Maybe the problem is that I am a tax professional and not an English major.

Anonymous said...

Haha! The Gospel of Michael! Man, that's some Jim Jones Kool-Aid there! Hope not too many people drink it.

FG Moody III said...

Tim,

I thought you were very clear.

You question why our delegate targets only one commissioner for raising taxes?

If the other two Republicans refuse to increase the property tax rate beyond the constant yield, we will certainly have an issue with the third Republican County Commissioner. However, the vote last year was such a disappointment, I doubt there is a chance of that.

Our delegate replies with sound and fury signifying nothing; but does not address the issue you raise.

Gaylord Moody III